Friday 30 September 2022

Scotland

I arrived in Edinburgh in the afternoon, and started exploring right away. After climbing all those hills yesterday along Hadrian’s Wall I stared up the stairs up the street in horror. 

Edinburgh is built along a spine, the Royal Mile, running from from Edinburgh Castle down to Holyrood House. Branching off are ‘closes’ which are basically alley ways running down to the valley below the castle. 


So basically a lot of up. So, I hiked up the stairs and along the Royal Mile. After a little bit of sightseeing I followed my standard operating procedure and looked up ‘oldest pub in town’ and went to the White Hart from 1516. It did not disappoint with a small little room and low ceilings.  



After my pint I went back to the hostel to settle in, grabbed some dinner before joining a ghost tour. It was really fun with a guide who has a background in history so he told some great stories about Edinburgh over the centuries. 


The next day I did a walking tour, which was similar, but there were a lot of new stories so it was still fun. In the afternoon I decided to hike to St Arthur’s Seat. Many of my friends had suggested it as something not to be missed. 


Well, it was a great view from the halfway point I can tell you that!! It was a rough dirt trail up the side, and my ankle and my stamina were not up to the task so I figured it was better to be safe than sorry, and I headed back down the hill. (Though then I had to go back UP the Royal Mile!)


I was able to stop for a pint on think hike though, the Tollbooth Tavern was the building that used to be the toll booth coming into Edinburgh. 


My last day I took a bus tour up into the highlands. We drove past Stirling Castle and stopped along several gorgeous lochs.  We had lunch in Ivernay, most of my group toured the castle but I decided to just wander outside taking pictures. It was used in Downton Abbey for Lady Rose’s Scottish estate- at least the outside was. It is a fascinating building to see and a cute little town. 



Rounding out the day were stops at Loch Lomond, Rest and Be Thankful Pass- named by the soldiers who built the original road and were grateful to make the top, and Doune Castle of Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail fame. 


I had a great time in Scotland, I think it was a bit short so I guess I’ll just have to come back again next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment