Tuesday 11 October 2022

Last Days in the UK

It’s hard to believe I have been travelling for a month already. But it’s true, and I’m coming to an end of my time in the UK. I’m back where it all started- in London. 

I stayed again with my cousins, and had a nice weekend. On Saturday we went to the Portobello Road market. It was heaven and hell for me. So many cool antiques and I don’t have room in my pack for them!  


I managed to keep my money in my pockets, but really enjoyed walking up and down the market looking at everything on offer. We also stopped at the Portobello Rd Distillery for a delicious G&T before heading home for a nice night in.  


On the Sunday my cousin and I went with his little guy down to Hampton Court Palace. It was super cool to see the old castle, and the newer part where William and Mary had tried to “modernize” it. Thankfully they had run out of time/money so didn’t manage to tear down the whole Tudor castle. 



The little munchkin decided he wanted to be a knight, and was absolutely adorable running around the castle in his little outfit with a little sword. We also found that they had a Magic Garden for kids on the extensive grounds so he had a great time running around and battling the dragon. 



I went off to take some pictures of the gardens myself, and found the famous hedge maze. After a brief study of a photograph at the entrance I had very little trouble finding the middle. Though I was quite pleased there was a short cut to leave!!


Our little Sir Knight was pretty worn out after a busy day of dragon slaying so it was another early night for him and then just relaxing at the house. 


The Monday was to be my last day in London, so I planned to explore and see what I could see with my English Heritage pass. Well, turns out lots of things are closed on Mondays. 


Also Westminster Abbey was blocked off in the morning, it was the first day of the court season so all the lawyers and judges are invited for a special service in the morning. 


The Mall and a lot of roads around Buckingham Palace were also blocked off- but that was due to clean up from the London Marathon the day before. I did get to see part of the changing of the guard which was cool. 


I had a light lunch in the Crypt at St Martin’s in the Field before going back to see Westminster Abbey. It’s a beautiful building, and amazing to think people have been going there and buried there for a thousand years. 


And since no trip to London is complete with out a trip to the West End I met up with my cousin that night to see the Back to the Future musical. It was so much fun! The songs were great and the cast did a great job on the show. 


I’m the morning I took my time getting ready. Sir Knight was home with his nana so we just played a bit before I had to head off to catch the Eurostar. It was time for the next stage of the journey- off to the Continent! 

No comments:

Post a Comment