Thursday 15 September 2022

A Yorkist Interlude

 Since I decided to go back to London for the Queen’s lying in state, I made a quick detour to York for a couple nights. My first time in a hostel in 16 years- it wasn’t bad. Sleeping in a room with 7 other people is never completely restful. And I wasn’t the oldest person there! A little old lady was in the next bunk. 

Most of what I know about York comes from historical fiction and archeological shows- so I was thrilled to be there. My hostel was inside the old city walls (oldest almost complete set of walls in Europe) and just beside the Micklegate Bar. 

The first night was a bit wet, so I just wandered about, found a couple old pubs (original licence from 1644!) and walked around the town. I also joined the Original Ghost Tour, started in the 70s, with a charismatic guide who had lots of great stores about York and ghosts. 

The next day I got off to an early start, with a nice breakfast in a café before visiting Clifford’s tower. The spot is where William the Conqueror built his original Mott and Bailey castle, with Henry I rebuilding in stone. It’s just a ruin now, but the outer walls still stand and they’ve added floors and a catwalk on top for lovely views. You can also see the oldest flushing toilet- a cistern on top to collect rain water to flush down the kings garderobe. More walking around the walls, and I went into York Minster, and a wonderful afternoon tea at Betty’s and found some beautiful Abbey ruins. Of course this was ruined by Henry VIII and the dissolution. 


I covered over 20,000 steps around the city and really earned my riverside gin and tonic that day!! Which was made from a delicious local gin I found in one of the shops. I’ll have to come back for some York Gin!

No comments:

Post a Comment