Thursday 22 September 2022

Wales in a Rush

 Since I changed my plans, I’ve not given myself enough time to visit Wales properly. But I was determined to at least visit one famous spot. After taking the train around the north side of Wales I caught a bus to Caenarfon. 

It’s just a beautiful little sea side town, with an ancient castle. It was the site where the first Prince of Wales was born. Edward I had promised the Welsh a Prince who was born in Wales and spoke no English- and thus crowned his baby son as the Prince of Wales.  The castle was the site of King Charles III investiture, and will almost certainly be used for Prince William in the near future. I overheard one local landlord excitedly planning for the event discussing raising prices in his guesthouse! 

The castle was just splendid, and so much was open to explore. I climbed to the top of several towers to look out over the castle and the town. The sea was very calm at the time with a light breeze stirring the flags over the entrance. 

Work is being done to preserve the great Kings Gate as well as make it more accessible for tourists. It looks like it’ll be amazing. I imagine they will want to wait for the work to be finished before anyone worries about having a large ceremony in the courtyard though!

I had dinner in a little local pub by the city, and a bit of a walk around. Though I was exhausted, and had an early morning to catch the ferry to Ireland in the morning so I collapsed into bed fairly early. 

In the morning I journeyed up to Holyhead for the Irish Ferry crossing to Dublin. While I was disappointed at not seeing much of Wales, I was very excited for what was coming next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment