Tuesday 8 November 2011

Welcome to TCI

Hey!
On Sunday November 6th I moved to the Turks and Caicos Islands to work as a medic for three months.  Before I left everyone made me swear up and down I would keep in touch, share my stories.  So here we are!
I left really early Sunday morning, worried I had packed to much, forgotten something and would have problems with customs.  Flying turned out to be easy, and I did of course forget some stuff.  Why do I always forget sunglasses when I go to sunny destinations?
Arriving at the airport I was met by my supervisor and his wife and taken on a quick tour of the island.  I am living on Providenciales one of the main islands in the territory.  They dropped me off at my new home, Reef Residence Hotel.  I have a nice little one bedroom suite with a pool, fitness center and just a two minute walk to the beach on Grace Bay.  They water is the most amazing colours with so many beautiful reefs that the locals are working hard at protecting which is amazing!
I crashed pretty early Sunday night, and my day on Monday started at 10:00 when my boss picked me up for some orientation.  We started off getting some paperwork done, including setting up a bank account. It was a little weird sitting inside a Royal Bank with palm trees outside! We also jumped on a couple calls with the medical crew including a good head injury.  Quite the introduction!  This led to a tour of the hospital, a brand new facility run by Interhealth Canada and filled with Canadian staff. 
At the end of my day I went for a walk along the beach.  All the beaches here are public which means you can walk all along the island along the water.  I can't wait for a day off so I can explore the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment