Wednesday, 16 November 2011

Settling in.

I had another day shift followed by two nights.  With no calls.  With a population of only 30,000 people we don't have a very high call volume.  I have been told that with the holiday season we should get busier. There is an influx of tourists, as well as thefts.  A good time for break ins when everyone has started buying Christmas gifts.

I spent my night shifts with a new driver, who is a local and knows the islands incredibly well.  He has been driving me around trying to help me learn my way around.  Its a bit challenging.  While not a large island there is lots of criss-crossing roads.  Many of them don't have road signs.  This is a new project that was only started when the 911 center was opened.  About 90% of the roads have been named, but only 50% have signs. Its a slow process and many of the people have begun working together to buy road signs for their neighbour hoods.

On Monday, in between my nights I should add, we had a mandatory staff meeting. Myself and my friend, the American EMT, were there on time. The on duty crew came as well.  Mind you that was about half our staff. One of the big news is they are working on a new base for us.  The one currently being used is in the old hospital and actually really uninhabitable.  While we wait for the new building we can hang out at the new hospital.  When the new building is ready in about a week or so we will be there for about four months.  During that time they will be renovating the old hospital into a new base for the EMS and Fire Department. I should be able to indulge in another interest there- ghost hunting.  Not only an old hospital but built on the burial ground of an old plantation from 200 years ago.

Friday night I went out with some co-workers.  my friend picked me up and we went to a pub Danny Buoys to watch our supervisor play with his band. Some off the staff from the hospital came too, a nurse, a british doctor and a Canadian med student. We had a great time, the band is great.  We also really embarrassed a young woman there on her birthday.  We quickly planned our attack, picked her up in her chair and carried it up to the band where they serenaded her.  The best part was after when she demanded to know which of her friends were responsible!

I'm on my four days off now, I spent yesterday sleeping in and a bit of time on the beach.  Today I decided to walk the beach down to the Saltmills which is a touristy shopping area and also has a grocery store.  Took about an hour to walk down there, past several other resorts including the Sandals all inclusive resort. It was a long walk back and my tender little feet that are used to snug boots did not do very well.  I ended up with blisters on both my big toes that hurt!! So I spent the rest of the afternoon nursing my poor feet on the beach. I can feel all your pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment