Friday 18 November 2022

Into Africa

After a long overnight trip I finally arrived in Victoria Falls. Another spot I’ve wanted to see for a long time- and was supposed to visit in 2020. 

I stayed in the Shearwater Explorers village close to the falls. A very nice spot with a pool and a restaurant. I chose to sleep in the tented accommodation to save a few bucks. Basic tent but with a comfortable cot. Facilities were basic, but fine. 

After a relaxing evening, I started the next day with a tour to the Falls. I grew up near Niagara Falls, so I have seen impressive falls before. But these are amazing. Vic Falls are actually twice the hight and twice the length of our falls, but water levels fluctuate wildly. Now at their lowest ebb almost all of the Zambian side is dry. When the rainy season comes the water level can rise by up to two meters. 


The benefit of the low water means less spray, so I was able to lots of good views. We still got absolutely soaked. There is a reason Victoria Falls has a small rainforest beside it.  


Next was lunch at the Lookout Cafe. It has stunning views up the gorge to the bridge across the border. Some zip liners whizzed by, but no bungee jumpers today. 


In the evening was a sunset cruise on the Zambezi River. It was just stunning to look at the scenery, there were also plenty of hippos and a couple elephants. We even saw one swim across the river. 


The next day was a trip to Livingston Island. Another low water bonus was the chance to swim in the Devils Pool.  First I had to cross the border from Zimbabwe into Zambia, I decided to walk between the border posts to see the bridge (apparently they call in Zimzam) and then took a taxi the rest of the way. When I met up with the tour company, they took us by boat to Livingston Island and then we swam a short way to a rocky spot near the edge of the falls. 




The Devils Pool lies right at the lip of the falls. There is a fairly deep spot and the a roughly 3 foot ledge before the drop. You can lie right on the ledge and look over!  It’s very cool. Though there are small fish that nibble at your feet and I was worried I’d fall over the edge when they startled me!


My last day I decided on relaxing. It dawned with blue skies so I lay by the pool. After lunch was a massage and a thunderstorm, then some relaxing by the bar. A great last night on Zimbabwe!

No comments:

Post a Comment