Friday 25 November 2022

Family Time

My last day at the Lodge was wonderful. In the evening we did a walk with the local bushmen who taught us about their culture. It is absolutely amazing how their ancestors learned how to survive the harsh dry seasons. There is a plant that sucks up moisture in a big root ball that can be squeezed for liquid. 


In the morning we followed some young lions as the searched for the hunt. They were just juveniles so apparently not very skilled yet. Momma will keep sharing her kills with them but they’ll have to grow up soon- more cubs are on the way. 

We did get an update that The Animal Who Shall Not Be Named was spotted on the other side of the property. Our guide drove all out to get us there- it was almost time for me to catch my plane!! But we got to spend a bit of time looking at three of the the chubby unicorns. It was just amazing. 

After that I had to catch my flight- after one last look at the young lions guarding the airstrip! Then it was off to Maun where I caught my connection to Joburg. 


The next week was spent relaxing with family, I stayed with my cousins and really enjoyed seeing them and their kids. We had a lovely lunch at a hotel overlooking the cradle of humankind, I saw the Constitution Hill with the old fort and prison, and saw the Origins Museum at the University that holds many of the finds from the cradle. 



And most importantly got hugs from as many cousins as I could manage. I missed a couple on this trip- I’ll just have to come back next year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment