Monday 31 October 2022

Buongiorno Salerno

Taking the train to Salerno was easy, but not really comfy. Italy has tons of sleek new trains- not this one. But it got me there which was what mattered.  And even better, Salerno is pretty flat!! After all the stairs of Europe I was thrilled with some nice flat coastal walk ways. 

My first day was just about exploring. I walked along the promenade, and found an old Fort- though it didn’t seem to allow visitors. There is another Fort high up on the hills behind town. I obviously did not go see it. 


I wandered the old town, found a cathedral that allowed you to visit the crypt. Which was not what I expected! It was brightly lit, and gorgeous with marble everywhere and paintings on the ceilings. It is the testing place if the patron saint Matthew, and a bunch of archbishops. 


I also spent a bit of time on the beach, which was pretty popular. And sandy, which was a nice change from the mostly pebbly beaches I’ve been visiting. The town was just packed with people, since it was a Saturday I do wonder if it’s tourists or locals enjoying the day. There were a fair number of kids wearing cute little costumes as it was the weekend before Halloween. 


My second day in Salerno I booked an excursion. It was a boat cruise up the Amalfi Coast. It was an amazing day. We slow motored west along the coast, and enjoyed some Prosecco to start the day. There was a stop in Amalfi where we had an hour to explore. I wandered around with another solo traveller I met. She’s ‘working from home’ in style, staying in Europe for a few months as a break from home in the US. 


The next stop was to swim, they anchored the boat along the coast. The water was just amazing, fresh and clear and a nice temperature. And they fed us caprese sandwiches after as we motored along to Positiano for another hour of exploring. 





There was another swim break, then we were bribed back on the boat with a treat of limoncello and cookies. Sadly it was time to head back, but we cruised along enjoying the gorgeous sunset behind us. And some more Prosecco that my new friend I had grabbed in Positano!!


I am just loving Italy. I have been wanting to come here for so long and it’s taken me way to long to actually follow through!! It’s just going to get better too! Pompeii is next, then Rome!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment