Thursday, 5 January 2012

Happy New Year!

Well, my New Year has come in with a bang.  After Christmas I had a couple days off that were uneventful, just relaxed at home. I went back to work with a vengence!

It all started with the Haitians.  I was working a day shift, while dropping off a routine transfer we got dispatched to a medivac that was arriving at the airport in ten minutes. On our way there, news came in about a sloop with illigal immigrants that had been found and would be coming in to the island with over 100 people on board.  Thats on top of 138 that had come in two nights before. 

So we rushed over to the airport and picked up the crew for the medivac, while taking them back to the airport with their patient we get told of an emergency call on the opposite side of the island.  Great.  So we haul ass out east to get our patient, the rush back to the the dock on the west side.  Luckily most of the passengers were ok and had been shipped to the detention center already. There was one patient waiting for me when we got there.

The next day was New Years Eve, despite overwhelming peer pressure to call in sick, I worked the night shift.  It started fairly slow, but about four in the morning the flood gates opened again!  The first call was a possible overdose, but when we got there she had taken off into the woods. While waiting for police to come help look for her, we got called for a possible assault.  We found that patient lying on the sidewalk in Five Cays, not the nicest part of town. So we bundled him up quickly for the hospital. 

A little while later, we get called for a woman in labour.  Back out to Five Cays.  We picked up our patient and headed for the hospital. I thought I had enough time. I was wrong.  Long story short, I delivered the TCI New Years Baby in the back of an ambulance.  It was one of the craziest things I've ever done. Luckily the little guy seemed ok and we quickly got him and mom to the hospital.

My next shift took a turn for the worse, I won't go into details on here, but it wasn't a good night.  That call was fairly early, and we got some sleep before another accident in the morning. It was actually interesting, an (empty) school bus had crashed, but managed to line itself up perpendicular to the road.  Actually impressive. Off course the only real damage was to the front door so we needed fire to help pop it open.  Patient had broken his leg, but was completely fine besides that. Probably one of the easiest going patients I've had.

So three days of work was a bit overwhelming, but in between I was able to spend some time with my new friends the Med Students. Down on the island for their Rural Hosptial rotation from McGill, it has been fun to chill on the beach with the girls.  A good combination of silly fun, we buried one of the girls in a giant hole she dug, and good times out at the bar.  We also had a late lunch one day with some friends before she had to go back to the states.

Most of you will be pleased to know, the weather has been dreary of late.  The clouds have rolled in and a northern wind makes sitting on the beach less then satisfying.  Hoping that will turn around again soon.  I am in the final month of my time here, for this temporary position anyways.  I am excited to get home, and see you all and especially my Guin!

No comments:

Post a Comment