Thursday 19 January 2023

The Land Down Under

 It’s hard to believe it- but I’ve arrived at my final country of this journey. It also means I have been to every continent. (Except Antarctica. It’s on the list though)

I started my time in Australia in Adelaide where I have some cousins. I was absolutely thrilled to meet them, not the least of all was the littlest who at 4 months was happy to give snuggles. 


I did stay in a hostel in the Adelaide CBD (downtown) which was a nice spot. Except not much was open in the evenings when I was walking around! Not that I spent much time there. After being picked up at the airport my cousin took me to the coast to see the beach and have dinner by the pier. It was just gorgeous, with clear calm water. There were lots of people swimming and fishing, and I even saw a woman pulling up nets with a blue crab in it. 


The next day I was picked up for brunch with my cousin and his family, though it was decided it was too hot a day for the Little to join us on our excursion.  We started out by going to Chalk Hill Winery. Another cousin met us there and we tasted some superb wines as well as had a gin and ‘sonic’ from the distillery Never Never on the property. 




Next was a drive up to the mouth of the Murray river, which is in flood to once of a life time levels. What was normally a narrow channel was a very large flow of water, pushing lots of river sand into the ocean. 


We continued to drive along the coast stopping to look at some stunning look out spots along the way, before going to another beach town for dinner. Along the way we went to a drive on beach. Which was wild to me. This huge long wide beach was packed with cars, most had set up tents and awnings. It was basically a beach tailgate.  


But the water was calm and warm so we walked out a bit in it before settling at a coast side diner to eat. 


The next day was much the same, except this time we drove north looking for wineries and vistas. There are some wonderful wineries around Adelaide, lots of Mediterranean varietals.  Lots of aged port as well, one place had a 100 year old one available to taste- if you were willing to pay $90. 


The last day in Adelaide started with the Adelaide Oval Roof Climb. When they extended the seating at the stadium they added an awning, which you can climb on. You are well rigged into a climbing harness as they take you up and around to the best seats in the house- one row dangles over the top of the pitch. I barely had the nerve to pose for a leaning back picture over the field, but it was just a good time. 



Another brunch was followed by more sightseeing sound Adelaide and driving up Mt Barker. We visited the little town my cousins grew up in and finished the day with dinner in town and some last snuggles with the littlest cousin. 

1 comment:

  1. It seems you were quite capitvated by Adelaide and it surrounds. Can't wait to see you Saturday love dadxxx

    ReplyDelete