Saturday, 12 January 2013

Christmas In Canada

December passed pretty slowly, as I was anxiously waiting for my Christmas holidays to arrive.  I had settled into my new apartment, unpacking and exploring the area.  I knew it fairly well already, but enjoyed walking down to explore the new beach.

It really is a gorgeous spot, I can see the ocean from the balcony. The best view is from the front door, its an open stairway with a fantastic view of Grace Bay.  When the sun comes up in the morning the water almost seems too perfect.

Eventually the weeks passed and on December 21st I got to fly home to Toronto, I'm so glad the apocalypse didn't happen - I was really looking forward to going home! It was a direct flight, and I landed in Toronto without any troubles.  No one was able to meet me and I was a little sad as I made my way through the crowds in the arrival areas, only to notice a group of people holding a sign with my name on it.  My confusion only grew, when after I identified myself, they broke into song singing Santa Claus is Coming to Town. Pearson airport had carolers greeting travelers and my mom had found them on twitter to meet me on arrival.   It was wonderful, and embarrassing, as I started crying as hundreds of people looked on!

After my greeting, I made it safely home to my grandmothers where I was thrilled to see my kitten. Guinness has been living with my grandma while I have been away.  I was happy that she came right to see me, but she then spent the rest of the evening staring suspiciously at me from under furniture.

Saturday was a busy day for me, I had a limited amount of time in Toronto so I headed out early to meet a few friends for a yummy brunch downtown.  I spent a few hours shopping then met some more friends for dinner before heading back to Oakville.  Then we quickly turned around and drove back to the city to pick up my sister from the airport.  Once we found her, my grandmother, uncle and I drove on to my mothers house for the evening.

Sunday we kept on our travels and headed east for a Christmas in Mt Tremblant.  Montreal had just gotten a dumping of snow so it was perfect weather for some skiing!  We met my mom and another sister at the resort for a small family vacation.  We had three days of skiing, the weather was unbelievable for the first too.  Absolutely clear and beautiful. The last day was cold and windy but we still had a good time- instead of skiing we just enjoyed the apres-ski.

The family also had lots of yummy food and drinks, opened presents and just had a relaxing week. But every holiday has to end and we had to head back to Toronto.  We spent the night again at my moms home, a nice half way point for our trip.  My sisters left very early the next morning for their flights out, and I headed out that afternoon to go back to Toronto.  We had a bit of a rough drive as it started snowing again.  But everything was so pretty and white I didn't mind!

I got to spend one more day in Toronto visiting friends, running errands and cuddling with my little Guin before I had to head back to the islands.  It was really sad to be leaving home again, I'd had such a wonderful time in Canada!

No comments:

Post a Comment