Sunday 22 October 2023

On the Road Again

 It’s been a year since my Grand Tour. And I’ve been anxious to travel again. (And been scolded I’m not allowed to say I’m jealous of anyone else.) Well my mother had been planning to go to the UK to do some research for her upcoming novels and invited me to come as I’m her “assistant”.

We flew on an overnight to London to start, with a hotel picked solely for its proximity to Kings Cross Station. We arrived in the afternoon, pretty gassed but not wanting to sleep yet. Looking at the map we were very close to the British Museum, so we walked over for a bit of a walk around. 


After that was an early didn’t at a cute little pub by the hotel and then an early bed time. 


In the morning we caught the train up to Yorkshire. One of the main purposes of the trip was to visit Halifax, the location of the girlhood home of one of her characters. As ‘Rose’ will be coming back for a visit, mom had to check out the area!


We stayed in a gorgeous Manor house that was originally built in the 1600s. In the 1960s it was bought by a family who added a wing to turn it into the current hotel. It was a great mix of classic charm and comfortable rooms. 



We walked about in the drizzle exploring the lovely gardens before walking to a cozy little local pub, the Ivy House, for dinner. My mother was ecstatic to see a lamb Henry on the menu and I had a fantastic Yorkshire Burrito. The lovely roast beef rolled in Yorkshire pudding. Who could ask for more! (Oh there was gravy for dipping!)

Tomorrow will be exploring Halifax and Yorkshire. And the weather network is predicting 50-75mls of rain!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment