It was the end of the tour, but it did not go out with a whimper. Our last morning we woke up to a clear sky so we finally got another glorious sunrise. This morning we drove to Hvitserkur. The land had eroded away leaving clumps of volcanic rock standing stark against the sky. Legends say they were trolls that were turned to stone as they walked the coastline.
It was a bit of a scramble to get down to the beach, but the view was incredible. I found a little piece of ice that mimicked the rock formation for my picture, and then chucked it back into the sea so my image will always be unique! After we finished and driving back along the main road, I saw a little farm nestled between two mountains that just seemed too perfect to me for a photo stop.
We carried on back towards Reykjavik, having lunch an a lovely little lunch at a small town with a little museum we could explore. Travelling along we stopped many times to take pictures of the various mountains and rivers along the road. You really would have to work hard to take a bad picture there!
The tour wrapped back up in Reykjavik, and my family was a little worn out, so the other guest and myself went for one last walk around town and had dinner had a lovely restaurant. They had some local delicacies on the menu, and while I have tried some weird things while I travel, I did not want to try the fermented shark. Nor the horsemeat. I’m not judging! Those just did not appeal to me, to each their own.
It was an absolutely wonderful trip, I came home with thousands of pictures to sort through and an amazing experience with my dad and stepmom. I still need to go back again, the guide assured us that everyone needs to see Iceland at least twice, once in the winter and once in the summer.

No comments:
Post a Comment